Non Destructive Testing
The term non-destructive testing (NDT) covers a range of methods used to verify the integrity of parts, components, materials and structures without damaging them. Non-destructive testing supplements destructive testing, which is carried out to determine the strength of structures by methods such as breaking, peeling, etc.
Test methods to boost your performanceThe term non-destructive testing (NDT) covers a range of methods used to verify the integrity of parts, components, materials and structures without damaging them.
Non-destructive testing supplements destructive testing, which is carried out to determine the strength of structures by methods such as breaking, peeling, etc.
With an expansion of the NDT market, it makes it possible to meet increasingly stringent safety, risk management and quality requirements. NDT is achieved during the various stages in the part life cycle – production (forging, casting, etc.), operation and maintenance.
NDT provides a way to detect internal defects in the structure of the parts or components tested. It is used to monitor equipment and ensure proper aging to help prevent equipment failure.
Actemium delivers NDT systems and services that improve your industrial performance and ensure the product reliability that your customers expect.
Ensure the reliability and safety of your products
NDT is used more particularly for high-cost parts and parts requiring high reliability in service (jet aircraft engines, LNG carrier tanks, nuclear power plant components, etc.). The use of NDT is therefore an integral part of the total safety concept.
Provide additional services
As safety standards are tightened across many industrial sectors, increasingly complex NDT methods are coming into use. We help you define your test requirements and formulate test procedures. As service providers, we offer the full range of state-of-the-art equipment to perform NDT and draw up the inspection reports for our customers, with comprehensive test traceability.
Satisfy your customers
The Actemium Business Units are completely independent on their industrial services. This guarantees the impartiality of the NDT we perform, a crucial factor in winning our customers trust and ensuring their satisfaction.
AS-CAST PARTS AND MATERIALS
NDT is carried out on as-cast parts and materials or directly after forging and pre-machining. Testing is performed from the surface to the core, whatever the part’s geometry or dimensions. NDT reveals the slightest defect.
The various machining processes used on parts and components – perforation, boring, shot peening, etc. – may impact their quality. NDT defects that appear during these manufacturing stages as well as the presence of residual deposits.
NDT is the best way to check the integrity of an entire piece of equipment. For example, it is used to test the leak tightness of LNG storage facility membranes (in LNG carriers, onshore storage tanks, etc.), welds, process circuits (pharmaceuticals, food processing, etc.), heat exchangers and even refrigeration systems (ice skating rinks, etc.).
We build on our experience of nearly half a century to provide the full range of techniques currently in use, including computed tomography, leak, eddy current, dye penetrant, magnetic particle, x and gamma ray radiography testing. Meanwhile, we carry out an uninterrupted technology watch to give our customers the benefits of ongoing technical progress in NDT.
Services and solutions
As service providers, we perform all types of NDT. We also supply and integrate solutions (x and gamma ray radiography, ultrasonic, etc.) suited to the needs of our customers and are able to develop the full range of related equipment needed to operate them. Our solutions and services include the sale of equipment, accessories and consumables in addition to turnkey NDT systems.
Turnkey or a la carte services
We support our customers’ NDT projects around the world, providing comprehensive services ranging from engineering to testing services and equipment maintenance. But we also provide single services on site or in our workshops. Similarly, when our customers perform the tests directly, we assist them in analysing the data sheets and interpreting the results obtained.
Virtually every industrial sector now carries out NDT and our teams operate across all of them. To better meet our customers’ needs, four networked business units deliver our NDT solutions and services. All of them are duly certified and licensed.
Actemium NDT Engineering & Services
- Nuclear, LNG tankers, petrochemicals, oil & gas, sheet metal fabrication, food processing, pharmaceuticals, research centres.
Actemium NDT Products & Systems
- Definition of customer requirements and manufacturing, distribution, integration and maintenance of NDT (x and gamma ray radiography, ultrasonic, etc.) systems suited to customer needs
Actemium NDS Nürnberg
- Inspection and supply of turnkey NDT systems.
- NDT is used to detect surface defects in a part, component or structure.
- We offer a range of tests: leak, visual and video inspection, dye penetrant, magnetic particle, ultrasonic and (for parts with particularly complex shapes) eddy current induction.
- Tests are carried out either in our workshops or at the customer’s premises when the components to be tested cannot be moved.
- NDT provides information on the possible presence of defects within a part, component or structure.
- We offer a range of tests: digital and conventional x and gamma ray radiography, CT scan, leak, acoustic emission, ultrasound and alternating current field measurement (ACFM).
- For the thickest parts, we use “multi-area” and “multi-element” technologies that can simultaneously analyse several areas and several depths of field (up to nine) in a single component.
WELDS AND LEAK TIGHTNESS
- We provide the full range of tests designed to check the weld integrity and leak tightness in all types of tanks (LNG carrier, onshore storage, nuclear, etc.).
- NDT methods include helium (vacuum and ultra-vacuum), ammonia, pressure variation and “vacuum chamber” tests. Our methods also include conventional dye penetrant, ultrasonic, acoustic emission and eddy current tests.
- We operate in the main industrial sectors: nuclear, shipbuilding, sheet metal fabrication, petrochemicals, transport, pharmaceuticals, food processing, health care, research, etc.
- We perform NDT in our workshops and at customer premises around the world.
- NDT identifies cracks, corrosion or thinning that can impact the proper operation of equipment.
- NDT can be used to determine the wear status of a component or system throughout its operational life.
- The NDT techniques used are eddy current, acoustic emission, leak, contact or immersion ultrasonic and dye penetrant tests.
- NDT is widely included in preventive maintenance contracts.
- During the maintenance phase, NDT is crucial to improving the safety, service life and reliability of your plant, equipment and infrastructure.
- NDT is the preferred method used to test safety parts of equipment undergoing maintenance. The main sectors concerned are aerospace, nuclear, petrochemicals and transport (rail, automobile, etc.) systems.
- NDT is carried out throughout the component manufacturing process to ensure total integrity and consequently full operational safety of the systems produced.
- In the operation and maintenance phase, NDT is used to determine the wear status of system parts and components. Any malfunction can thus be detected.
- NDT ensures equipment reliability and safety throughout its life cycle.
- NDT is indispensable in industries manufacturing “high risk” equipment and infrastructure, such as the aerospace, nuclear and shipbuilding sectors.
- NDT involves “full scale” tests performed directly on the part, system or infrastructure rather than on a sample.
- NDT guarantees proper functioning of the elements tested under actual conditions of use.
- NDT is an integral part of high quality production.
- Increasingly stringent safety legislation makes the use of NDT indispensable.
- High-risk industries and parts required to be absolutely reliable in service are subject to quality requirements that only NDT can guarantee.
- Whatever your field of activity, we can provide you with state-of-the-art NDT technologies and testing.
- We can advise and assist you in drawing up an NDT specification that will enable you to ensure regulatory compliance.
The 8 NDT functions
A broad range of applications
NDT was initially used by large companies in such fields as aerospace, shipbuilding, nuclear energy, sheet metal fabrication, transport, petrochemicals and storage.
NDT was subsequently applied to a wide variety of sectors and is currently employed in fields such as medicine (irradiation of blood bags, research (cancer), art (x ray analysis of paintings by old masters) and jewellery (metal plating).
X RAY RADIOGRAPHY
X ray testing provides access to the internal structure of objects and materials. The resulting images are displayed in conventional (photographic film) or digital format. The technique is used, among other things, to check weld integrity, corrosion and cracks in mechanical parts, etc.
GAMMA RAY (Γ RAY) RADIOGRAPHY
Gamma ray testing is similar to conventional x ray testing but uses a higher-energy gamma radiation source. Gamma ray testing is performed in areas that are difficult to access and on very thick parts and components.
The variation in the speed at which ultrasonic waves propagate through a material or part is used to detect anomalies in the structure being analysed. This technique is comparable to the ultrasound tests used in medicine. Ultrasonic NDT identifies both surface defects and defects present within the material (internal inspection).
DYE PENETRANT TESTING
Dye penetrant testing is used to detect defects (down to 1µm) on the surface of a part of component. The operation consists in applying a layer of dye (primarily red) or fluorescent liquid to the surface to be tested. Following cleaning and the application of a developer, the colour is retained above the defects. Dye penetrant testing is used to inspect sheet metal, welds, pipes, etc.
A variety of leak tests can be performed, depending on the field of application, including helium (accumulation, vacuum, sniffer probe, dye penetrant), pressure variation, vacuum chamber and ammonia tests. They are especially used to verify the integrity of storage equipment and infrastructure (LNG carrier tanks, onshore tanks, pipe systems, exchangers, etc.).
MAGNETIC PARTICLE TESTING
In magnetic particle testing, a strong magnetic current is applied to the surface of a part or component containing iron. If a defect is present, the magnetic field is disrupted, causing accumulated particles above the defect.
Sound wave propagation is measured within a part being tested to locate any areas of weakness such as cracks and/or surface defects.
Eddy currents are induced in a closed circuit within a conductive material placed near an electromagnetic winding. Any structural defects in the material will disrupt the current flow.
VISUAL AND VIDEO INSPECTION
Careful visual inspection of the outside of a part provides crucial information regarding its wear status and the nature of any observable defects. When the areas to be inspected are not readily accessible, a probe or robot fitted with a camera is used. The images obtained are displayed on a screen and/or digital device.
The computed tomography technique, which is comparable to CT scans used in medical imaging, generates three-dimensional images of the object being tested. It is used to analyse the material both externally and internally.
Main types of NDT
Your questions :
- How do I obtain the NDT techniques appropriate to my business sector?
- Who can help me to define my detailed requirements?
- How can I gain access to these technologies, which are frequently costly?
- How can I be certain I am in compliance with the applicable regulations?
- Where can I find a partner able to support my operations in other countries?
- Our expertise and our ongoing industry watch give you access to state-of-the-art technologies.
- We give you access to technologies that have a very high “upfront cost”.
- We deliver full support, from defining your requirements to performing tests and/or supplying appropriate equipment.
- You comply with your regulatory obligations and fulfil your customers’ requirements.
- We support all your projects, around the world.
- What should we do when we cannot carry out the NDT ourselves?
- How can we cope with peak production?
- Where can we find NDT experts who understand our business and our production requirements?
- As a specialised NDT subcontractor, we enable you to cope with peak workloads.
- We help you meet your production timelines.
- We assign trained, responsive specialists with full knowledge of your business and your production requirements to work alongside you.
- We support you at every stage of your production cycle.
- You can better organise the work of your teams.
- What value added does NDT bring to maintenance?
- Can we call you for one-off services under maintenance contracts for our own customers?
- Do you maintain NDT equipment we own?
- NDT is a crucial part of work under maintenance contracts.
- NDT reveals the “hidden” wear defects in your equipment.
- Our work improves the reliability of the equipment and tools tested.
- Can I be sure that my customers’ specifications will be met?
- Do you have full regulatory certifications?
- Are your employees certified to carry out the NDT tests they are assigned to perform?
- We have all the certifications required to perform NDT.
- We are certified by your customers and by speciality, across all industrial environments.
- Our technicians are individually certified to carry out the tests assigned to them.
- You have the guarantee that the tests and inspections comply with your customers’ most exacting specifications.
- Are you able to provide a comprehensive NDT service?
- Do you have sufficient knowledge of our sector?
- How do I benefit from outsourcing NDT?
- Why should I call on your rather than one of your competitors?
- We are positioned as a single interface to meet your expectations.
- We offer turnkey or a la carte services.
- We have full knowledge of your business activity.
- Our teams provide local service and build a partnership relationship with you.
- We serve you as a partner with NDT experience going back more than 50 years.
- We give you access to state-of-the-art technologies at low cost.
- How can I use NDT as a selling point for my customers?
- What proof can I provide that your NDT services are reliable?
- Can I tell my customers that you provide state-of-the-art technology services?
- Will you be able to support us in other countries?
- We engage in ongoing research and development.
- We have full knowledge of the various NDT techniques and are prepared to work in new activity sectors.
- You can guarantee faultless production quality to your customers.
- Our independence from our customers provides the end user with the assurance that our NDT analysis is impartial.
- Thanks to our network of business units, we can perform NDT all over the world.
NDT, for whom?
The use of NDT involves the entire management structure of your company and impacts your entire production process. Such tests ensure the quality and reliability of components, systems and equipment throughout their life cycle.
What is NDT?
Non-destructive testing (NDT) is a range of methods used to verify the integrity of parts, components, materials and structures without damaging them.
What does “non-destructive” mean?
Non-destructive testing (or inspection) does not destroy or in any way alter the parts, components, equipment or facilities tested. The materials and structures retain their full integrity, in contrast to destructive testing (breakage, stretching, wear, bending, etc.), in which the objects tested can no longer be used or are completely destroyed.
What types of NDT are available?
A wide range of non-destructive testing methods is available. The tests can be performed separately or sometimes in combination. The main methods include: x ray radiography, ultrasonic, dye penetrant, leak, eddy current and magnetic particle tests. The type of test to be applied depends on the type and nature of the components or structures to be analysed. We build on our experience going back nearly 50 years to provide virtually the full range of techniques currently in use.
What can NDT bring to my business?
Customers, particularly those working in “sensitive” industries, require NDT. They will only do business with you if you provide a guarantee that you comply with the applicable regulations concerning quality and reliability and hence safety.
What are the main industries in which NDT is used?
Most major industrial sectors, including the civilian and military aerospace, sheet metal fabrication, nuclear, chemical, shipbuilding, automotive, steel, pharmaceutical and food processing industries, use NDT to ensure the quality and reliability of their products. As a general rule, “sensitive” industries and industries producing high-cost or high-reliability components in which safety is a critical factor (nuclear, aerospace, etc.) employ NDT.
Is NDT applied only in heavy industry?
No, NDT is increasingly expanding into new (and sometimes surprising) sectors. For example, managers of sports facilities (skating rinks) use NDT to check the integrity of their cooling equipment. NDT is often used to check food container welds and jewellery metal plating thickness. The ionising radiation sources commonly used in NDT are also employed in the medical field (inoculation of mice used in cancer research, radiation of blood bags, etc.). NDT is also used in cultural (old paintings) and archaeological applications.
What is the advantage of outsourcing NDT?
As specialists, we give you the benefit of state-of-the-art facilities for performing all types of NDT. Most NDT equipment requires substantial investment. It would be economically unprofitable or prohibitively expensive for a company to acquire such equipment and obtain the specific certifications required to operate it.
Can I perform NDT myself?
An industrial company can carry out NDT, provided it has the required certifications and equipment. Actemium has long designed and produced ionising radiation (x ray and gamma ray) equipment in France. Its teams have put together a comprehensive range of solutions and services (engineering, sale, integration, maintenance) of x ray, gamma ray and ultrasound equipment based on existing products. They can help you define your need and supply the equipment to meet them.
How can I ensure the repair and maintenance of my NDT equipment?
Actemium maintains NDT equipment. Our teams are more particularly specialised in x ray, gamma ray and ultrasound equipment and more broadly in all facilities that produce ionising radiation.
Can you help me choose the right NDT solution for my business that meets my customers’ requirements and ensures regulatory compliance?
Our teams support you in making this choice. We propose the solution that best meets your expectations and those of your customers and help you to define your needs, comply with regulatory requirements and draw up a specification.
Do I need to have specific certification?
Yes, certification is required. In addition to “general” certification (ISO 9001, ISE 14001, OHSAS 18001, ISO 9712, etc.), we have the full range of certifications required for NDT and the qualifications that are specific to certain industrial environments and/or customers (aerospace, nuclear, petrochemicals, etc.): EN 9100, NADCAP, ISO 0712, EN 4179, COFREND, COSAC, CEFRI-E, CAS 1, MASE, etc. Our technicians are also individually certified to perform the tasks assigned to them.
Can you handle worldwide projects?
Our teams are fully mobile and we have NDT equipment that can be transported. There is therefore nothing to prevent us from supporting your projects all over the world.
Would you like to learn more about our NDT solutions and services?
We have over 50 years of experience with NDT and we are able to meet the specific needs of all industrial sectors, including the nuclear, aerospace, sheet metal fabrication, chemicals, petrochemical, food processing, pharmaceutical and health care industries. We provide both turnkey and a la carte solutions to support all stages of your NDT project and to ensure the maintenance of your solution.
For additional information, contact our teams at :