The term non-destructive testing (NDT) covers a range of methods used to verify the integrity of parts, components, materials and structures without damaging them. Non-destructive testing supplements destructive testing, which is carried out to determine the strength of structures by methods such as breaking, peeling, etc.
The 8 NDT functions
A broad range of applications
NDT was initially used by large companies in such fields as aerospace, shipbuilding, nuclear energy, sheet metal fabrication, transport, petrochemicals and storage.
NDT was subsequently applied to a wide variety of sectors and is currently employed in fields such as medicine (irradiation of blood bags, research (cancer), art (x ray analysis of paintings by old masters) and jewellery (metal plating).
- NDT is used to detect surface defects in a part, component or structure.
- We offer a range of tests: leak, visual and video inspection, dye penetrant, magnetic particle, ultrasonic and (for parts with particularly complex shapes) eddy current induction.
- Tests are carried out either in our workshops or at the customer’s premises when the components to be tested cannot be moved.
- NDT provides information on the possible presence of defects within a part, component or structure.
- We offer a range of tests: digital and conventional x and gamma ray radiography, CT scan, leak, acoustic emission, ultrasound and alternating current field measurement (ACFM).
- For the thickest parts, we use “multi-area” and “multi-element” technologies that can simultaneously analyse several areas and several depths of field (up to nine) in a single component.
Welds and leak tightness
- We provide the full range of tests designed to check the weld integrity and leak tightness in all types of tanks (LNG carrier, onshore storage, nuclear, etc.).
- NDT methods include helium (vacuum and ultra-vacuum), ammonia, pressure variation and “vacuum chamber” tests. Our methods also include conventional dye penetrant, ultrasonic, acoustic emission and eddy current tests.
- We operate in the main industrial sectors: nuclear, shipbuilding, sheet metal fabrication, petrochemicals, transport, pharmaceuticals, food processing, health care, research, etc.
- We perform NDT in our workshops and at customer premises around the world.
- NDT identifies cracks, corrosion or thinning that can impact the proper operation of equipment.
- NDT can be used to determine the wear status of a component or system throughout its operational life.
- The NDT techniques used are eddy current, acoustic emission, leak, contact or immersion ultrasonic and dye penetrant tests.
- NDT is widely included in preventive maintenance contracts.
- During the maintenance phase, NDT is crucial to improving the safety, service life and reliability of your plant, equipment and infrastructure.
- NDT is the preferred method used to test safety parts of equipment undergoing maintenance. The main sectors concerned are aerospace, nuclear, petrochemicals and transport (rail, automobile, etc.) systems.
- NDT is carried out throughout the component manufacturing process to ensure total integrity and consequently full operational safety of the systems produced.
- In the operation and maintenance phase, NDT is used to determine the wear status of system parts and components. Any malfunction can thus be detected.
- NDT ensures equipment reliability and safety throughout its life cycle.
- NDT is indispensable in industries manufacturing “high risk” equipment and infrastructure, such as the aerospace, nuclear and shipbuilding sectors.
- NDT involves “full scale” tests performed directly on the part, system or infrastructure rather than on a sample.
- NDT guarantees proper functioning of the elements tested under actual conditions of use.
- NDT is an integral part of high quality production.
- Increasingly stringent safety legislation makes the use of NDT indispensable.
- High-risk industries and parts required to be absolutely reliable in service are subject to quality requirements that only NDT can guarantee.
- Whatever your field of activity, we can provide you with state-of-the-art NDT technologies and testing.
- We can advise and assist you in drawing up an NDT specification that will enable you to ensure regulatory compliance.